I’ve been experimenting with making vegan crackers lately.
& it isn’t that difficult.
It’s definitely a challenge, but totally worth it!
This was my third time making vegan crackers and I have to say, it’s getting easier with each trial.
I was even able to come up with this recipe from scratch! I’m very proud of myself because I always wondered when do bakers learn to just whip up something real quick.
Well, now I know that a spontaneous trip to the kitchen can lead to beautiful, tasty creations.
I was so excited when the dough formed that I had to get proof:
Next, I decided to make them EXTRA cheesy so I used this tasty seasoning that I’ve been messin’ around with.
After dousing the dough with the seasoning, I rolled over the dough with the rolling pin a few more times to fully incorporate the spices into the mix and to get the dough as thin as possible.
***I know it’s hard to see, but I rolled the dough until it was almost transparent, which was the perfect thing to do for this recipe, as the cracker came out very crispy and crunchy.
Next, I transferred the dough to a baking tray, cut out the shapes of the crackers with a pizza roller, and put the tray in the oven at 350 degrees F.
After baking for not even 6 minutes, they came out looking like this:
I didn’t even have to worry about the crackers sticking to the tray! They are just marvelous.
This is how thin my crackers turned out:
***not gonna lie – it took me a long time to like nutritional yeast and accept it as “cheese,” it tasted nothing like cheese and I was sad & alone with a sad naked omelette, but now, here&now, I love it. It’s definitely cheesey, you’ve just gotta combine it with some spices and use a lot of it! Horay for deactivated bacteria!
This was the perfect amount for one person! Definitely more than what you’d get in one of those standard bags of Doritos.
Also, I probably shouldn’t have eaten them all in one sitting, but I couldn’t resist!
I will be working on this recipe, more and more. I will perfect this one.
• 1/3 c All Purpose Flour + more for flouring surface
• 1/8 tsp Salt
• 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
• 1/8 tsp Baking Powder
• Flax seeds
• 1/6 c water
• Cheesy Seasoning: 3 TBS Nutritional Yeast + 3 tsp Garlic Powder + 3 tsp Paprika + 1/2 tsp Salt
- Mix dry ingredients in a bowl
- Sprinkle flax seeds into the mixture
- Add water
- Combine with a spoon or your hands until you have a dough – it was sticky so I put flour on my hands
- Roll out as thin as possible on a floured surface
- Mix seasoning in a separate bowl and sprinkle all over the dough
- Use the rolling pin to ensure the seasoning is pushed into the mixture
- Flip the dough and repeat
- Slice your crackers into whatever shape you like with a pizza cutter
- Stick in oven at 350 for just a few minutes (if really thin like mine)
- Watch for the crackers to flip up at the ends
- Remove from oven & enjoy immediately!
- Store leftovers.