I’ve been feeling extremely groggy since I stopped eating meat, which I understand, but I didn’t realize until this week how much protein I’ve been missing. Along with going out on weekends, my body has truly been suffering! For example, I feel weaker and yoga has been more challenging in the physical sense. Another example, I have been taking naps! I never take naps. So this is a huge wake up call for me..
I need more protein!
So I did some research on vegan protein sources:
I have always loved tofu so I remembered to pick some up on my next grocery haul.
And I always make sure to have some canned beans around.
& I learned all about the many ways to prepare tofu! Exciting stuff ^^
For my first successful tofu cooking experience, I decided to make scrambled tofu with black beans and green onions, tomatoes, avocado, and jalapeños.
It was fairly easy to make this! I was surprised and very happy with this meal 🙂 I used half of the tofu block for this serving.
Next time, I should add something orange and yellow like sweet potatoes and corn or bell pepper boats! And add some cilantro or fresh basil.
& maybe even a dessert bowl of blueberries and oranges.
& add a spicy chili sauce!
To make scrambled tofu:
1. Mash ½ tofu block with a fork in a bowl
2. Add seasoning to bowl and mix – sea salt, cumin, paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, oregano
The next day, I went all out and made some tasty sesame kale (like the kind from whole foods!) so I added some tomatoes, avocado, black beans, jalapeños, and tofu that I sautéed in the pan.
1. Chop up ¼ of the tofu block and put the pieces into a bowl.
2. Add sea salt, paprika, chili powder, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, and liquid aminos. Stir the tofu.
3. Heat pan on medium with some oil (I used sunflower oil)
4. Sauté tofu for 10 minutes or until it changes color on all sides.
I’m so so pleased with how the tofu came out both times. Definitely will be adding these two recipes to my meal prep list for the school year.
Next I want to make miso soup with extra tofu, my mom always orders it.
Also, I’d like to make crispy baked tofu!