In the midst of a cashew-phase, I ventured out and finally made some cashew cheese!
It’s super easy to make – just like everything else on here – and it tastes divine.
After blending, mine still had chunks in it, but that’s okay! It’ll do.
Next time, I plan on using my Vitamix to get a creamier “cheese.”
At this point, I tasted… and tasted, and realized it needed a lot more spices!
So I added some fresh ground pepper and paprika (my new favorite thing) and a dash of cayenne pepper.
The end product:
I’m so happy I’ve found something almost as good as the real thing.
That little brown thing is from the cashews! I just picked it out afterwards, no biggie.
• 1 c soaked cashews – I soaked mine for 1 hour because they were very fresh and soft (If you want a creamier “cheese” soak your cashews for 2 hours at least)
• 1/4 c water for desired consistency
• 2 TBS freshly squeezed lemon juice
• 1/4 c Nutritional Yeast
• 1 tsp Garlic Powder
• 1/2 tsp Salt
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
1. Soak your cashews for 1-4 hours, depending on the quality of your cashews – if they are very fresh then you won’t have to soak for too long, probably an hour or two.. and if they are not very soft, then soak for longer!
2. Drain and rinse cashews and place into blender/food processor
3. Add everything except the water at first, then add a little water, blend, repeat
4. Keep adding water until you’ve found your perfect consistency!
5. Enjoy with crackers, as a spread, on a sandwich, on veggies, so many possibilities!
***This recipe was adapted from this website, which has a nice list of other flavors to add to your cashew cheese, such as herb, tomato basil, truffle, and sesame cheese, mmm!